Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sphagnum Moss

This is some moss on a dead tree. I know how exciting. But when you are trying to set up a new tank for whatever will inhabit it, it is a great idea to see it in its environment. You can kinda get the picture of what you want. I actually found a 40' sheet of this on a dead tree and it was so green. I cut a 24"x12" piece and that was the base for my Crested Gecko vivarium. Moss is not easy to grow at all. You need UVB lighting, and a moderate temp and higher humidity. When u see Moss out in the woods it's usually in a nice shaded area. When i had mine growing, only had UVB light on for a couple hours a day and misted it with water and it came out nice. There is a wide variety of moss that is easily accessible on line some better that others. If you do go out and get some in the woods make sure it is free of bugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment